Saturday, July 17, 2010

Little Sewing Update

So, it's becoming easier for me to squeeze in little bits of sewing between waking up and going to work, and getting home and going to bed- because I've realized if I don't sew in the small amount of free time I have, nothing will get done. It's hard for me not to procrastinate, but I also know that when I'm working on a project, I feel alot happier and more content and, well, in my element than I am anywhere else.

Especially work, which today, wasn't too great. You guys, I work for tips. It's a fact. And some days, no one tips me, even when I carry out their ten-pound tray of food, and they make me fix all of their drinks because the amount of ice doesn't meet their exact specifications. Even when it wasn't my fault in the first place. People aren't normally rude to me; it's not that. If anything, I encounter alot of nice people. It's just, my job only pays me $3 an hour. They EXPECT that I make tips. Some days I make alot; but on days like today, I didn't even get minimum wage. No matter how hard I try, there are some days when it doesn't pay off, and that's frustrating.

So... sorry about that. I'm off my soap box. Here's what I did when I got home from work:

This is a s'more. Don't ask how I ate it, because it was messy. But it was goooood. Some days (okay, most days), my eating habits are horrifying. But, you know that saying, "nothing tastes better than skinny feels"? I don't believe it. So that's how I justify impromptu smore-making binges...

Anyway. About sewing. This morning, I completed the muslin to what will henceforth be know as "The Epic Skirt".  And the good news is that the muslin fit great. I even ran around in it, painted my nails in it, laid on the couch in it. It really has no fitting problems; I'm good to go. When I got home from work, I found out that I have no interfacing, so I can't start on the actual skirt until I pick some up. Meanwhile, I re-threaded my serger (which feels like a full-time job) to the correct thread color, pre-washed the cotton I'm using, and prepped the pattern pieces. If I have time tomorrow, (and this is a BIG if), I'll start cutting the pieces out. My absolute least favorite part; I really only love the construction, not the cutting.

As a refresher, here's the fabric I'm using:




And here's  the pattern. So yeah; it should look crazy but ultimately wearable. With something plain on top, like a v-neck, and black tights and a cardigan for winter; I just think it's gonna look great. Excited for progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment